We determine your residency for tuition and fee purposes at the time you apply for admission. Non-resident (out-of-state) students pay a slightly higher tuition rate than resident (in-state) students do. 

Non-resident students, or applicants whose residency is undetermined, may apply for residency once Washington becomes their permanent home for at least 12-months, and by meeting one of the following conditions:

  • U.S citizen
  • Hold a permanent resident card for at least 12-months before you apply
  • Hold an A, E1, E2, G, H1, H4, I, K, L1, L2, O or U visa for at least 12-months before you apply
  • Hold refugee, asylum or pending asylum status (with Employment Authorization Card) for at least 12- months before you apply



  • Mon, Tue, Thu: 8 am - 4:30 pm
  • Wed: 8 am - 7 pm
  • Fri: Closed




Non-resident (out-of-state) students request residency determination by completing the Washington State Residency Questionnaire

Submit completed forms to the Registration & Records office via email: @email.

Submission Deadlines

  • Reach out for assistance to @email
  • Final Deadline: Submit all documents by the 30th calendar day of the term (quarter). By regulation, the college processes submissions and documents received after this date for the next term (quarter). There are no exceptions to this deadline.

Military-Connected Students

Active-duty members of the military living in Washington and members of the Washington National Guard and their dependents, and veterans and eligible family members may be eligible to pay resident tuition. Please visit Residency for Military-Connected Students webpage for information. 

If you need assistance, contact the Military & Veteran Programs office. 

Undetermined Residency

When applying for admission to the college, students should complete and submit the online admissions application and complete the admissions steps. During the initial processing of your admission application, undetermined students are reviewed before a residency decision is made. Many undetermined and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) students qualify for Washington state residency by following one of the two processes listed below.

Students Qualify for In-State Residency if you Meet the Following Requirements: 

  1. Received a high school diploma (or equivalent).
  2. Lived in Washington for at least one year (12 months) immediately prior to starting their first term (quarter) at Olympic College.
  3. Affirm that they are a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or that they will file an application to become a permanent resident of the United States as soon as they are eligible to apply. 

If you meet all of the above requirements, can use the Residency Affidavit form to request a change in residency status.

Additional Determination Process for DACA Students

Students approved under the DACA, and living in the state of Washington for at least 12 months may also qualify for Washington state residency. If you are a DACA student who meets this requirement, please submit the following by email to @email.

  • A copy of your work authorization card (EAD)
  • INS Notice of Action receipt for deferred action

Submit completed forms to the Registration & Records office via email: @email

For more information, visit the Residency Affidavit webpage.



New laws were passed in July 2021 and June 2022 making it easier for all Washingtonians, including undocumented people, to get resident tuition and state financial aid. This law makes college more affordable and many people who didn’t qualify before are now eligible.

For more info, visit the Washington Student Achievement Council Student Residency webpage.