Work Study is a form of state- or federal-financial aid that is determined by financial need. Qualified students work an approved on-campus or off-campus job, earning pay for your work, which can be used for educational expenses. Students must submit the FAFSA or WASFA to see if you qualify for Work Study.

Work Study positions are coordinated through the Career Center.

How to Submit the FAFSAHow to Submit the WASFA


Federal School Code

003784 - use this code when applying for financial aid at Olympic College.

How to Apply for Work Study

Student with Advisor
1Complete the FAFSA or WASFA

If approved, Work Study will be included in your financial aid award package.

Male student with backpack outside.
2Contact the Career Center

If your financial aid package includes Work Study, contact the Career Center to begin the process of applying for Work Study positions. 

Three students at a laptop.
3Apply for Positions

Create your account and apply for jobs using our online job board called Handshake. 

Federal or State Work Study?

Two female student workers at a computer.

Federal or State Work Study?

Federal Work Study jobs are generally on campus.

State Work Study jobs can be either on or off campus, and are usually related to your intended area of study.

  • Approved Work Study students are awarded Federal Work Study in your financial aid award package, but are also eligible for State Work Study.
  • If you prefer an off-campus, career-related Work Study position, you must be hired into a State Work Study position approved by the Career Center.
  • Work Study positions are limited to 19-hours per week.

You receive your work study award in the form of a paycheck.

  • Federal Work Study jobs are paid the current state minimum wage per hour and are paid twice a month.
  • State Work Study jobs are career-related positions and the employer determines your hourly wage and how often you are paid.

Frequently Asked Questions