Establishing the appropriate math starting point is important to your success as a student. The Mathematics Department supports your success with placement and prerequisite processes that reflect your prior learning in mathematics, as well as current needs for growth and learning. There are several options for determining your placement and if you've completed prerequisites for a sequence of courses.
PLACEMENT and Prerequisites
Placement is the process of determining the appropriate starting point in a given subject for incoming new or returning students.
Once you’ve established your starting point, you may need to complete prerequisites before progressing to the next class in the sequence.
The processes for determining your placement and prerequisite completion are similar. See below for more information or submit the Science, Engineering & Math (SEM) Review Form.
PLACEMENT & PREREQUISITE POLICIES
- Math instructors strictly enforce math course prerequisites to help ensure student success. Individual math faculty do not give out access codes for math classes. Students work with a Success Coach to determine which placement method is best suited for their situation and to determine the Math Pathway which best supports their educational goals.
- Students may submit assessment scores taken at other colleges within the past two years, or an appropriate grade in the prerequisite course.
- Unofficial Transcript submission required.
- Olympic College email address and password required to access form.
- Allow three-to-five business days processing time.
- You will be notified of the determination of your request via email.