This certificate focuses on the design, coordination and documentation of mechanical devices, with enhanced graphic communication skills, as well as written and verbal communication skills. It is designed for students or professionals in mechanical engineering or manufacturing wishing to expand or advance their careers by improving their graphic communication skills, or for those seeking entry level employment as a mechanical technician.
Advisor / Program Contacts
Upon completion of this program, successful students will have demonstrated the ability to apply their skills and knowledge in the following ways:
- Create a set of manufacturing documents based on engineering sketches and calculations, including drawings and specifications.
- Identify and use sources of common industry standards, including ANSI, ASME, SAE, and ISO.
- Visualize the interaction of 3-dimensional objects, based on 2-dimensional drawings.
- Work as a team member involving multiple disciplines and responsibilities.
- Use CAD software to computer model mechanical components, and produce a physical prototype of that model.
- Analyze, test, and correct computer models and prototypes as required for function, precision, and tolerance.
- Assist an engineer in the complete design process, and therefore know that process.
- Effectively communicate technical information in written, sketched, and digitized form.
- Effectively use typical office software for routine office purposes.