This certificate is designed for students wishing to supplement or advance their careers in civil, residential building design and/or construction with enhanced graphic communication skills, as well as written and verbal communication skills. This program may also be appropriate for those students wishing to improve their graphic communication skills to supplement an education in archtecture or construction engineering.
Advisor / Program Contacts
Upon completion of this program, successful students will have demonstrated the ability to apply their skills and knowledge in the following ways:
- Work as a team member involving multiple disciplines and responsibilities.
- Produce residential plans and pictorial drawings using hand drafting techniques.
- Produce residential building plans using industry standard CAD and BIM software.
- Use and interpret architectural and civil graphic standards
- Use CAD software to produce civil drawings.
- Identify the influences of art, history, sociology, and human perception in site and building design.
- Use and document a systematic design process to identify, analyze, and solve simple residential building and site design problems, including conceptual, visual, and practical requirements.
- Interpret written legal descriptions as well as interpret and create graphic legal descriptions (plat and site plans).
- Identify materials and processes commonly used in residential construction.
- Assist with the use of traditional survey equipment and total stations to collect and utilize field survey data.
- Effectively communicate technical information in written, sketched, and digitized form.
- Effectively use typical office software for routine office purposes.