Home / Staff & Faculty / Human Resources / Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ page for employees.  Also functioning as the HR Brief archive.

Adjunct faculty who hit certain workload minimums are eligible for benefits.  Please see this site to find out more information: Adjunct Eligibility.

Both types of leave can only be used as a full workday when taken.  Personal Holiday must be used by the end of the calendar year (December 31) or it will be forfeited that year and is the only leave type of the two that can be donated.  Personal Leave must be used by the end of the fiscal year (June 30), or it is forfeited.  Please refer to the current CBA for exceptions for partial leave to be taken in certain situations.


Yes you can waive medical benefits, but you must fill out the required forms in order to do so.  If forms are not filled out by the due date, you will automatically be defaulted to Uniform medical coverage and will be responsible for paying the monthly health premiums and the smoker’s premium.


Compensatory time is earned in lieu of cash when an over-time eligible employee works an excess of forty (40) hours per workweek.  Employees may accumulate no more than one hundred sixty (160) hours of comp time.  Comp time must be used prior to vacation leave, unless this would result in the loss of his or her vacation leave or the employee is using vacation leave for Domestic Violence Leave.

All comp time must be used by June 30th of each year.  The employee’s compensatory time balance will be cashed out if it is not used.  


All employees who end their employment with Olympic College should provide a letter of resignation/retirement at least 15 calendar days before the effective date of the resignation/retirement.

Full-time employees are to submit their letters directly to Dr. Mitchell and provide copies to their supervisor and to Human Resource Services (HRS). Adjunct faculty, part-time hourly and student employees are to submit their letters to their supervisor and send a copy to HRS. Letters should indicate if it is a resignation or retirement and include the effective date of your resignation/retirement.

Upon receipt, supervisors must complete and submit a separation Personnel Action Form (PAF) to HRS for faculty, classified, part-time hourly and student employees.

HRS will mail exiting forms (exit checkout, benefits information and retirement forms - if applicable) to the employee to review, complete and return. Employees must take the exit checkout form with all their keys, badges and parking placards to the Safety and Security Office. Business cards and name tags are to be returned to HRS.

For employees on a temporary employment basis, supervisors need to contact HRS 10 days prior to the last day.

If at any time an employee would like to withdraw their resignation/retirement, they may do so prior to the effective date.


To fill a new or vacant position, the hiring authority or supervisor must complete a Position Requisition Form (PRF) and submit to Human Resource Services. A PRF must be completed for all position types - Administrative/Exempt, Faculty, Classified, Adjunct and Part-time Hourly. The most current Position Requisition Form can be found on the HR Forms page. Please have all signatures filled out through your chain before submitting to HR along with a Decision item form from the VP Admin Services for FT positions. All full-time PRFs will be presented at cabinet for final approval. 

For questions regarding hiring, please email jobs@olympic.edu.

The most current Hiring Procedures can be found on the Hiring Procedures page.


All paperwork associated with student employment application, hiring and rehire process should be sent to the Career Center. Students must visit the Career Center for enrollment verification. Once verified and Personnel Action Form (PAF) has been received, students will be scheduled for orientation and complete all hiring paperwork (I9, W4, etc.) at the Career Center.

Supervisors will be contacted via email by the Career Center to confirm that the student may begin employment or that the student has not completed the necessary steps. Student employees must not begin working or continue to work upon rehire until the supervisor has received notification from the Career Center.

For questions or assistance, please contact the Career Center at (360) 475-7480 or by email to careercenter@olympic.edu.


This message comes partially from: Washington State Health Care Authority


Our long-term care insurance carrier, John Hancock Life Insurance Company (U.S.A.), recently announced that this plan through the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) Program will be closed to new applicants effective August 1, 2014. This is due to financial forecasts that no longer make it viable to offer.

If you wish to apply for this group long-term care insurance, call John Hancock at 1 800 399 7271 to request an enrollment kit. Applications must be postmarked by July 31, 2014, to be processed for coverage, so be sure to request the enrollment kit early to allow enough time for mailing, plus completing and returning the forms.

The decision to stop accepting new applications does not affect insured members who already have this coverage. John Hancock will continue to provide ongoing service to them under our group long-term care insurance policy.

Starting August 1, 2014, the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) Program will no longer offer a long-term care insurance benefit to new enrollees. At this time, we have no information about whether or when long-term care insurance may be available again.

You can find answers to some questions about this action in the Announcements section of the PEBB website. For questions on your group long-term care insurance, please call John Hancock Customer Services at 1-800-399-7271.

Long-term care insurance, not to be confused with Long-term Disability (LTD) insurance, policy covers care due to illness, accident, or the effects of aging. Services can include those provided at home, in a nursing home setting, and other types of facilities. LTD pays a monthly benefit of 60% of pre-disability earnings after the selected waiting period. For more information about either plan visit the PEBB website at http://www.hca.wa.gov/pebb/Pages/morebenefits.aspx.


Part of your notification letter includes a checklist of the various forms that must be filled out with regards to health benefits, life insurance, long-term disability, and the smoking/spousal charge attestation form. You MUST fill these forms out, even if you want to waive benefits, otherwise you will be defaulted to Uniform medical and dental and will not be able to change this until the open enrollment period typically during the month of November of each year. Here is a list of the forms that can be found on the Benefits Paperwork page:

HCA Employee Enrollment/Change 
Life and AD&D Insurance 
Long-Term Disability 
Retirement (TIAA & DRS)

These must be completely filled out and returned within 31 days of eligibility along with verification documents when enrolling family members, and the checklist memo and the HCA PEBB Eligibility worksheet (if applicable) which are included with your notification letter.

Adjunct faculty who receive these notifications of eligibility must fill out all of these forms each time they requalify. Failure to do so will result in being defaulted regardless of whether they previously waived or not!


No, the 9/9/9999 end date is no longer valid and will be completely eliminated. With the new CTCLink system rolling out, we must use an actual date. By using an actual date, it will allow for a smooth transition to the new system.

Effective immediately, all new part-time hourly positions must have an end date of 6/30/2020. This will occur in five (5) year increments. For example, all new part-time hourly PAFs for 2014 through 2019 will have an end date of 6/30/2020. In the year 2020, end dates will be 6/30/2025 and in the year 2025, end dates will be 6/30/2030, and so forth. Part-time hourly positions will need to be renewed when each end date occurs.

For new and current full-time employees, the end date of 6/30/2099 will be used. Current employees with the 9/9/9999 end date will be updated automatically.


Personal Holiday is leave accrued by full-time Faculty, Administrative and Classified employees.  Faculty accrue three (3) days of leave per instructional year, and Administrative and Classified employees accrue one (1) day of leave per calendar year.  Personal Holiday must be used prior to the end of each year.  If not used, remaining hours will be lost.

Personal Holiday may only be split according to the conditions below:

  • Part or all of a personal holiday may be donated to another employee for shared leave as provided in RCW 41.04.665.  Any remaining portions of a personal holiday must be taken as one (1) absence, not to exceed the work shift on the day of absence.
  • Part or all of a personal holiday may be used for:
    1. The care of family members as required by the Family Care Act, WAC 296-130;
    2. Leave as required by the Military Family Leave Act, RCW 49.77 and in accordance with Article 19.12; or
    3. Leave as required by the Domestic Violence Leave Act, RCW 49.76.

Any remaining portions of a personal holiday must be taken as one (1) absence, not to exceed the work shift on the day of absence.

If none of these conditions apply, the remaining hours will be lost.  Personal Holiday expires June 30th for Faculty and December 31st for Administrative and Classified employees each year.


Sick leave Buyout is an option for employees who accumulate sick leave and have a balance over 480 hours at the end of each year.  This is also known as “Compensation for sick leave.”

Eligible employees may convert unused sick leave to monetary compensation under the following circumstances:

  • Monetary compensation must not reduce balance below 480 hours;
  • Only hours earned in 2013; minus all sick leave hours used or shared may be converted (maximum hours that can be converted to monetary compensation is 96 hours) ;
  • Compensation is paid one-fourth (1/4) of the employee balance; i.e. 96 hours earned in 2013 with zero hours used, the employee may be compensated for 24 hours;
  • Employee must respond to request by the deadline.

Hours that are converted to monetary compensation will be deducted from the leave balance.
Hours not converted to monetary compensation will continue to accrue. The option can only be exercised once-a-year. The only other option for the state to pay out sick leave is during retirement (or death). In all instances it is bought back at 4 to 1 basis or ¼ of the total value.



In 1986, in an effort to control illegal immigration, Congress passed the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA). IRCA forbids employers from knowingly hiring individuals who do not have work authorization in the United States. The employment eligibility verification provisions, and sanctions, of IRCA are found in Section 274A of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) helps employers to verify individuals who are authorized to work in the United States. The I-9 form must be completed for every new employee hired.

Newly hired employees must complete and sign Form I-9 no later than the first day of employment.

A new employee must present documentation that establishes his/her identity and employment authorization. Unexpired documentation must be presented within three days of beginning employment.


The federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides job protected leave and benefits coverage entitlements to employees who meet FMLA eligibility requirements.  Employees are required to request FMLA for this entitlement to apply.

Approved FMLA guarantees that an eligible employee can have job protected time off work as follows:

  • Up to 12 workweeks of job protected time off work per 12-month period because of:
    • A serious health condition,
    • A family member's serious health condition,
    • Parental leave to care for a newborn or newly adopted or placed child.
    • A qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that the employee's family/household member is on active duty (or has been notified of an impending call or order to active duty) in the Armed Forces Reserves or National Guard in support of a contingency operation.


  • If the employee is an eligible family member or next of kin the employee can have up to 26 workweeks of "Service Member Family Leave" during a single 12-month period to care for a covered service member who is:
    • Undergoing medical treatment, recuperation, or therapy,
    • Otherwise in outpatient status, or
    • On the temporary disability retired list, for a serious injury or illness.

For more details, visit the Policies & Procedures page on our website.

To request for FMLA leave, contact Jacquie Curry at (360) 475-7307.


Human Resource forms can be found on the HR Forms link on our website. These are the most up-to-date forms for leave, TIAA-CREF, FMLA, hiring, PEBB, etc.  If you cannot find a form on this page, please contact HR at (360) 475-7300.  If you are using an older version of these forms, please discard and begin using the current form.


  1. Contact the HR office at (360) 475-7300 to schedule an appointment to meet with Jacquie Curry.
  2. Make a call to your retirement plan administrator.
  • TIAA 1-800-842-2776
  • Department of WA State Retirement System (DRS) 1-800-547-6657  


If you have any life changes such as address, phone number, new member of the family (marriage, baby, adoption) or divorce, always notify HRS of these changes to update your file.  Whether you have been employed for years or just a short period, Human Resource Services wants to remind you to keep your personnel file up-to-date.

Newly Married:

Visit HRS to add your spouse as a beneficiary on retirement and life insurance; update your emergency contact; enroll or dis-enroll family members in medical, dental, life plans and/or update address.


Make changes to your medical plans and to the beneficiaries for life and retirement. 

New baby or adoption:

Add your child(ren) on your medical and dental plans.

Establish or end a WA State-Registered domestic partnership:

Add or drop your dependent on the first of the month after the event.

For more information on PEBB Benefits, how it works, what it cost, who you can insure, when you can change, etc. visit the PEBB website.


If you are injured on the job you must let your supervisor know and visit the Safety & Security site to fill out an Accident/Injury Form right away.

Minor injuries are just as important. You must report the accident. Human Resource Services needs to be notified of injuries and be familiar with the situation when the Labor and Industries (L&I) paperwork arrives so that they can help you plan your return to work.

Many falls, cuts, and sprains can become serious injuries if they aren’t treated right away.  For a minor injury, get first aid at your workplace.  If you need treatment, go to the emergency room or health-care provider of your choice and let them know you were injured at work.  They will assist you in filing the workers’ compensation claim form.


Notify HRS of their absence.

Time and leave has to be reported in the absence of your employee.  There are several ways to handle this situation.  Contact your HR Consultant for information.

As a reminder, employees who are out 5 or more days need to bring a release from a physician.  Protect your employee, protect yourself, protect the college.  Be sure the employee is fit for duty when he/she returns from being out on medical.  The Return to Work Authorization form can be found on the HR Forms link.


Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for the general public.

The Benefits office in Human Resource Services accepts appointments and walk-ins at 10:00 a.m.  Payroll is one of the highest priorities and during the morning hours, up to 10:00 a.m., walk-ins are limited.  This allows staff to process PAFs, adjunct contracts, administrative contracts, retirement and benefit forms, request for SRA salary deductions and changes, FMLA request, LWO and LWC entries, entries on PPMS such as address changes, SID numbers, and sign forms for and delivery to the Payroll office.

If you are a new hire and are coming to submit paperwork and complete your I-9, we have special hours for this:  Monday through Wednesday between the hours of 2PM and 5PM, or Thursday from 9AM to 5PM. 

For your convenience, a locked box is available at the front counter of the Human Resource office.  It is highly encouraged that all documents be placed in the locked box after hours as well as during business hours.  The box is emptied several times throughout the day.  All deliveries are stamped in and processed daily.


You can visit the Benefits Paperwork page for all the forms required.