Home / Programs & Classes / Transfer from OC

Transfer from OC

Planning to transfer to a four-year college or university?

This section provides information for students who plan to transfer either to a college or university in the State of Washington to complete a four-year degree or to an Olympic College four-year degree program. It highlights different transfer degree areas and includes contact information for faculty advisors at Olympic College who can help map out education plans and transfer programs of study. Students should work closely with an advisor at the four-year institution where they plan to transfer before finalizing their education plans.

To offer additional educational options, Olympic College offers its own bachelor degrees to help serve the need of students. To find out more about these programs, visit the Degrees and Certificates page and select "Bachelor's Degrees" under the Category (Degree Type) drop down menu. 

Most students who plan to transfer will complete the Associate in Arts/Direct Transfer Agreement (AA/DTA) or Associate of Science (AS). These degrees are designed to meet statewide guidelines endorsed by the InterCollege Relations Commission (ICRC) to ease transfer. The following 22 institutions subscribe to ICRC Guidelines:

  • Bastyr University
  • Central Washington University
  • City University
  • Cornish College of the Arts
  • Eastern Washington University
  • Gonzaga University
  • Heritage College
  • Northwest University
  • Pacific Lutheran University
  • Saint Martin’s University
  • Seattle University
  • Seattle Pacific University
  • The Evergreen State College
  • Trinity Lutheran College
  • University of Washington
  • University of Washington Bothell
  • University of Washington Tacoma
  • Washington State University
  • Washington State University Tri-Cities
  • Washington State University Vancouver
  • Western Washington University
  • Whitworth College

Many of these institutions apply provisos such as minimum grades, and foreign language or other course requirements in accepting the transfer Associate degree. Check with the admissions office at the four-year college or university for clarification and up-to-date information.

Common Course Numbering

  • All Washington state community and technical colleges are using a Common Course Numbering (CCN) system. The system identifies courses that are equivalent at community colleges throughout the state to make it easier for students to transfer between two-year colleges. Courses with an ampersand (&) after the prefix code are part of the Common Course Numbering system. Many courses without an “&” also transfer between two-year and four-year colleges.

Agreements by Other Colleges or Institutions to Accept Credits from Olympic College

In addition to the colleges subscribing to ICRC guidelines, Olympic College has entered into formal agreements with the following institutions for transfer:

  • Brandman University
  • The Evergreen State College: Direct technical transfer for Chemical Dependency Counseling ATA and Organizational Leadership; and The Upside Down Degree for Accounting Technology, Business Management, Early Childhood Education, Legal Office Professional, Medical Assisting, Nursing, Physical Therapist Assistant, Computer Information Systems, and Leadership and Occupational Studies.
  • University of Washington – Tacoma: Politics, Philosophy, and Economics Program
  • University of North Dakota: Engineering
  • Olympic College is also part of a statewide agreement with Western Governors’ University – Washington.

  • Consult a faculty counselor if you have not decided on a future major.
  • Check with your intended transfer college or university advisor for specific admissions and major requirements. With careful planning, you may be able to fulfill both admissions and major requirements with your degree.
  • Not all courses are offered every quarter. A faculty advisor can help you plan course sequence and schedule.

NOTE: The Associate in Arts/Direct Transfer Agreement (AA/DTA) is a general transfer degree. It is not usually associated with a specific major. Students who plan to transfer to a four-year college or university are responsible for contacting the appropriate advisors at the institution to determine which additional classes they may need to take while attending OC. The educational plan to complete the AA/DTA and any additional classes should be made in consultation with the appropriate OC Faculty Advisor.

Brandman University
Through Brandman University and Olympic College’s Early Advantage Program, students will have a seamless transition to complete their four-year degree. EAP students can attain their degree in Organizational Leadership, Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Early Childhood Development or one of the many other Brandman offerings.

For more information contact: Jennifer Perryman, M.S.. Campus Director NBK Bangor Campus
T: 360.779.2040 | F: 360.779.1011
| E :jperryma@brandman.edu

Old Dominion University
Old Dominion University provides bachelor's degrees, master's degrees and PhD programs right here in your home town on the Olympic College campus. For more information click the Old Dominion University link above or visit ODU on campus in the Engineering building across from the Bremer Center, or call the site director, Bob Hoffman at 360-475-7280 or email him at rhoffman@olympic.edu for more information.

Washington State University
Washington State University is now offering a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering at Olympic College- Bremerton. The program is a partnership between WSU and OC to offer the last two years of a four year Mechanical Engineering degree in Bremerton. For more information on the WSUME.OCB program, please visit www.mme.wsu.edu/olympic*. 

Western Governors University
Get your degree at OC and transfer to Western Governors University (WGU). WGU offers only online bachelor and master’s degrees in Business, Information Technology, Teaching, and Health Professions. To learn more visit www.wgu.edu

Western Washington University

Western Washington University offers flexible degree programs on the Kitsap Peninsula in business, cybersecurity, education, environment, human services and multidisciplinary studies, with classes offered during the day, evening, weekends, and online. Courses can be taken at the OC Bremerton campus or at the Western Washington University Center at OC Poulsbo. For more information about all our programs call 360-394-2748, visit the Western Office at OC Poulsbo, or visit our website http://www.wwu.edu/peninsulas

Washington community and technical colleges (CTCs) offer reciprocity to students transferring within the CTC system who are pursuing an AA or AS degree. Students who have fulfilled entire areas of their degree requirements at one college will be considered to have met those same requirements if they plan to complete the same degree when they transfer to another community or technical college in Washington. These degree requirements include Communication Skills, Quantitative Skills, or one or more Distribution Area requirements. Students must initiate the review process and must be prepared to provide necessary documentation. For complete information, students should contact an evaluator in Registration and Records.

A student who completes courses selected from within the general education categories listed on the Washington 45 list at a public community, technical, four-year college or university in Washington State will be able to transfer and apply a maximum of 45 quarter credits toward general education requirement(s) at any other public and most private higher education institutions in the state.