Home / Programs & Classes / Adult High School Diploma Alternatives

Adult High School Diploma Alternatives


High School 21+

  • In addition to the eligibility requirements for ABE programs, individuals must be at least 21 years of age (at the time of completion) and lack a high school diploma in order to participate in the HS 21+ program.
  • HS 21+ program is competency-based, so students must meet all of the learning outcomes outlined in the subject distribution requirements. The subject distribution requirements have traditionally been used for designating credit in each subject.
  • For HS 21+, the requirements are used to determine the learning outcomes for each subject.
  • An Advisor will evaluate your official transcripts and knowledge gained from life experience, and work with you to craft an educational plan.
  • HS 21+ is geared toward students transitioning into Career and Technical programs that lead to living wage jobs or who might transfer to a 4 year college.
To get more information call, email or visit: (360) 475-7408, hmcknight@olympic.eduHSS 223.

GED Preparation

  • Basic Studies offer non-credit courses intended to prepare students for the GED test.  
  • Adult Basic Education (ABE) is designed to raise the level of education of adult learners so that they can benefit from further education and gain job skills.

GED - Frequently Asked Questions

To get more information call, email or visit: (360) 475-7550, cmetcalf@olympic.edu, visit HSS 223.

High School Completion (HSC)

Policy and Procedures

  • Must be age 16 or older.  Students under age 18 need a signed Release of Assignment of Student Form.
  • Apply for Admissions to Olympic College to get a Student ID number.
  • Get official transcript(s) from your high school(s) and any college you may have attended.
  • Students may earn a high school diploma by taking pre-college and/or college-level courses.
  • Home-Based Instruction:  A student who is taking courses in home-based instruction may be allowed to credit these courses toward high school completion if off campus learning is accepted for credit by a state school district.  OC reserves the right of acceptance or nonacceptance of course work that is not completed under the jurisdiction of the school district. (http://www.k12.wa.us/privateed/homebaseded/PinkBook/pinkbook.pdf)
  • An OC counselor/designee will advise you on the classes you need to complete your diploma at the college. 
  • Specific courses are used to meet minimum Washington State Requirements according to graduation year.
  • To have your transcripts evaluated make an appointment by calling the campus nearest you: Bremerton - 360.475.7530, Shelton - 360.432.5430 or Poulsbo - 360.394.2725.
To get more information call, email or visit: 360.475.7530, AdvisingCenter@olympic.edu, visit HSS203.

  • Get an official transcript from your school district or high school registrar. Usually the transcript from the last high school attended with have all the courses taken.  Transcripts must have a seal and marked 'OFFICIAL' and be in an unopened envelope. If the envelop is opened, the transcript is no longer considered official. You may have them sent to the address below:

Olympic College
Advising & Counseling Center/High School Completion
1600 Chester Ave. 
Bremerton, WA 98337

  • To get a Student ID number you must apply for admission to Olympic College at no cost. This may be done on campus with the Registration office.
  • High Release Form is required if your class has not graduated?
    • If your graduating class has not yet graduated and you are under the age of 18, you must also obtain a high school release from the high school. This must be signed by the principal or HS counselor and by a parent or guardian. 
  • Make an appointment to have your transcripts evaluated. Call the campus nearest you: 
    • Bremerton campus: 360.475.7530, Shelton campus: 360.432.5430 or Poulsbo campus: 360.394.2725.
    • A transcript evaluation will determine what high school credits/courses are still needed and any additional state requirements
  • The school district may issue an unofficial transcript if you have a debt.
    • We can evaluate an unofficial copy but an official copy is still required before the diploma is awarded.
  • The Accuplacer assessment is required for students needing high school mathematics credits. There is a non-refundable fee of $20. Please visit Assessment and Testing Center to learn more. The assessment is designed to place you a course where you are most likely to succeed.

  • Visit current tuition rates to see the costs per credit. All students in credit classes are charged fees once each quarter or summer session.
    • ​If you are under 19 years of age or you are not a Washington State resident, you must pay full tuition rates along with any additional fees.   
  • Washington State residents who are 19 years of age and over may pay a reduced tuition rate. See counselor for current reduce tuition rates. A counselor's signature is required to receive the reduced tuition rate. Some restrictions may apply.  
    • FAFSA is not currently available to those without a GED or a high school diploma.
  • Most courses require books and other materials that can cost hundreds of dollars depending on the course. Some courses do not have any costs associated with them.
  • There is a non-refundable fee of $10 that covers the cost to apply for the high school diploma after all requirements are met.

  • We can tell you what high school credits are still needed after an evaluation of official transcripts is done.
    • There are no special high school courses that students take to meet the requirements for the diploma. 
    • OC courses are taken and some have a prerequisite.
  • The Accuplacer assessment is used to determine placement for math and English courses which may be below college-level.
  • High school is not college.
    • Students are expected to write at a college-level (i.e., essays, reports).
    • Some professors do not have the time or interest to help students.
    • There are certain courses that are used for the high school completion but there is no 'special program' with separate courses.
  • We use Washington State requirements to determine what the requirements for each graduating class. 
  • Students must complete at least 10 credits at Olympic College with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
    • One high school credit is equal to five college credits (i.e., 4 HS credits x 5 = 20 OC credits). 

  • Students under the age of 21 must meet any unmet tests (i.e., math, reading or writing). 
  • All Washington State tests are given by your local school district and are not provided by the college.
  • These additional requirements no longer apply once you reach the age of 21. 
  • Students may work with a counselor to address unmet Culminating Project or High School & Beyond Plan requirements. 
  • Students who have been home schooled are bound by the same Washington State laws governing high school completion.
  • Home-schooled transcripts and courses may or may not be applicable to the diploma requirements. 

Requirements for a high school diploma: 1) Completion of specified courses with a GPA of at least 2.0, and 2) successful completion of any additional Washington State requirements if you are under the age of 21.