In this program students will learn to greet patients and other visitors, make appointments and verify insurance information using a computer, prepare and maintain patient charts, use electronic methods to maintain patient records, answer phones and take accurate messages. They will learn to utilize medical terminology and be aware of the implications of federal and state legal guidelines as they apply to ambulatory healthcare settings. Successful students will earn a certificate of completion once they have satisfied all program requirements.
Medical Receptionist students are required to take the Accuplacer test for English and Math placement. In order to begin the program, students must place into ENGL& 101, or alternatively, complete ENGL 098 with a 3.0 or higher or ENGL 099 with a 2.0 or higher. Students are also required to place into MATH 099, or alternatively complete MATH 094 with a grade of 2.0 or higher.
All students will be required to complete an application packet prior to placement in MEDA 141, Medical Receptionist Externship. Required components include a comprehensive background check, various vaccinations and purchase of medical malpractice insurance. Students who are not able to be placed in an externship based on a positive background check will not be able to complete the medical receptionist certificate.
Advisor / Program Contacts
Upon completion of this program, successful students will have demonstrated the ability to apply their skills and knowledge in the following ways:
- Use effective verbal, listening and written communication skills to interact personally and professionally in a healthcare setting.
- Use appropriate interpersonal skills to provide excellent service to patients, clients and coworkers.
- Promote tolerance and equal treatment of all patients and coworkers.
- Access, evaluate and organize information successfully using a variety of resources.
- Use technology effectively to successfully accomplish office tasks.
- Prioritize and appropriately multitask in a variety of healthcare setting situations based on customer service principles and organizational values.
- Critically evaluate medical office situations from multiple perspectives to find appropriate solutions.
- Work effectively as a healthcare team member.