Olympic College offers a two-year curriculum which prepares students for employment in medical settings to assist the physician and/or health care provider. This degree program is designed to qualify medical assistants for supervisory and/or management roles that require an Associate degree and to allow an opportunity for potential transfer for those who wish to continue their education at a four year institution. To earn this degreee, students must also successfully complete the Medical Assisting Certificate of Specialization.
Advisor / Program Contacts
Upon completion of this program, successful students will have demonstrated the ability to apply their skills and knowledge in the following ways:
- Accurately perform clinical skills appropriate for a medical office setting.
- Effectively use oral and written communication skills as they relate to a medical office environment.
- Use computer software to research or organize data for medical information systems.
- Demonstrate the ability to interact professionally with patients and staff in a healthcare setting.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform front office tasks such as appointment scheduling, telephone work and documentation of charges and payments.
- Critically evaluate medical office situations from multiple perspectives to find appropriate solutions.
- Recognize and be able to respond to medical office emergencies within scope of training.
- Recognize the impact of cultural differences in the care of patients and the interaction with co-workers.
- Demonstrate entry level competency in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains included in the Medical Assisting curriculum.