Home / Human Services & Chemical Dependency

Human Services & Chemical Dependency

Courses in the Human Services Specialty Program offer sound theoretical framework and practical experiences. Professionals who wish to upgrade certification can enroll in courses dealing with current practices in human services and chemical dependency. For those entering a new career, this program provides theory and practice in human services principles and arranges field experiences to exchange ideas with those currently working in the field.

Social and human service assistant is a generic term for people with a wide array of job titles, including human service worker, case management aide, social work assistant, community support worker, mental health aide, community outreach worker, life skill counselor, or gerontology aide. They usually work under the direction of workers from a variety of fields, such as nursing, psychiatry, psychology, rehabilitative or physical therapy, or social work. The amount of responsibility and supervision they are given varies a great deal. Some have little direct supervision; others work under close direction.

Social and human service assistants provide direct and indirect client services to ensure that individuals in their care reach their maximum level of functioning. They assess clients’ needs, establish their eligibility for benefits and services such as food stamps, Medicaid, or welfare, and help to obtain them. They also arrange for transportation and escorts, if necessary, and provide emotional support. Social and human service assistants monitor and keep case records on clients and report progress to supervisors and case managers. Social and human service assistants play a variety of roles in a community. They may organize and lead group activities, assist clients in need of counseling or crisis intervention, or administer a food bank or emergency fuel program. In halfway houses, group homes, and government-supported housing programs, they assist adults who need supervision with personal hygiene and daily living skills. They review clients’ records, ensure that they take correct doses of medication, talk with family members, and confer with medical personnel and other caregivers to gain better insight into clients’ backgrounds and needs.

Social and human service assistants also provide emotional support and help clients become involved in their own well-being, in community recreation programs, and in other activities. In psychiatric hospitals, rehabilitation programs, and outpatient clinics, social and human service assistants work with professional care providers, such as psychiatrists, psychologists, and social workers, to help clients master everyday living skills, communicate more effectively, and get along better with others. They support the client’s participation in a treatment plan, such as individual or group counseling or occupational therapy.

Action Counseling
729 Prospect St. Ste 200
Port Orchard, WA 98366
Phone (360) 895-1307
Fax (360) 895-4805
Contact: Betty Kassuhn: actioncounseling@live.com

Agape Unlimited Intensive Treatment
5464 Kitsap Way
Bremerton, WA 98312
Phone: (360) 373-1529

ADVAD Counseling Services 
3627 Wheaten Way Suite 104-C
Bremerton, WA 98310
Contact: Paul Brown, (360) 405-6326

Believe in Recovery
211 Taylor Street, Suite 20
Port Townsend, WA 98368
Telephone: (360) 385-1258
Contact: Gabbie Caudill: believeinrecovery@live.com

Cascadia Bountiful Life Addiction Treatment Center
2817 Wheaton Way, Suite 205
Bremerton, WA 98310
Phone: (360) 373-0155
Fax: (360) 373-0258
Contact: Lindsy Anderson, Owner: lindsy@cascadia.comcastbiz.net

Catholic Community Services of Western Washington
285 5th Street, Suite 2
Bremerton, WA 98337
Phone (360) 792-2020
Contact: Sara Sanders: sarasa@ccsww.org

920 Park Avenue
Bremerton, WA 98337
Phone: (360) 377-7231
Fax: (360) 377-9996
Toll free: (888) 844-7231
Web site: www.communitas.org

Crossroads Treatment Center
5915 Orchard Street West
Tacoma, WA 98409
Fax: (253) 473-7474
Tel: (253) 473-7474 (ask for Rhonda Watkins or Penny Sullivan)
Email: Office Manager, Breanna bmaichel@crossroadstreatment.org and ask for your email to be forwarded to Rhonda Watkins or Penny Sullivan.

First Things First
1905 4th Ave. E.
Olympia, WA 98506
Phone: (360) 951-1797
Contact: Robert Swanson
Email: firstthingsfirst123@comcast.net

Georgia's House (Homeless Shelter for Women and Children)
4846 Auto Center Way
Bremerton, WA 98312
Phone: (360) 479-9020
Contact: Mary Chapman, Volunteer Coordinator
Email: firstthingsfirst123maryvolunteercoor@mail.com

Healthy Whole Solutions
1014 Bay Street, Suite 24
Port Orchard, WA 98366
Michelle R. Cottrell: (360) 602-0022, myork@healthywholesolutions.com

6894 NE Seabold Church Road, Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
Phone: (206) 212-0145
Email: info@islandtimeactivities.org or ellen@islandtimeactivities.org

Kitsap Community Resources
802 - 7th Street
Bremerton, WA 98337
Phone: (360) 478-2301
Fax: (360) 415-2706
Web site: www.kcr.org
Email: info@kcr.org

Kitsap County Juvenile Drug Court
Juvenile Services
1338 S.W Old Clifton Road
Port Orchard, WA 98366
Phone: (360) 337-5403, Fax (360) 337-5404
Contact: Michael Braunz: mbraunz@co.kitsap.wa.us
or J Kaunitz: Jkaunitz@co.kitsap.wa.us

Kitsap County Juvenile Detention
William Truemper, Detention Mgr.
1338 S.W. Old Clifton Road
Port Orchard, WA 98367
(360) 337-5406

Kitsap Mental Health
5455 Almira Drive
Bremerton, WA 98311
Phone: (360) 373-5031
Web site: www.kitsapmentalhealth.org

Kitsap Recovery Center
1975 NE Fuson Road
Bremerton, WA 98311
Please contact Rebecca Pirtle first to get background check before contacting the agency:
(360) 337-4650

North Mason County Resource
PO Box
140 NE State Highway 300
Belfair, WA 98528
Cat Ross: (360) 552-2303
Email: nmcr@wavecable.com

Northwest Indian Treatment Center
PO Box 477
308 E. Young
Elma, WA 98541
Phone: (360) 482-2674
Stephanie Tompkins
Email: stompkins@squaxin.us

Northwest Integrated Health
Asif R. Khan, MD, SAP, FASAM, Chief Executive Officer
Off: 253-200-0415, Cell: 253-666-5912
E-Mail: akhan@nwih.org 
Office: 253-200-0415           
Fax: 253-845-4742
Tacoma Office: 5929 Westgate Blvd. Tacoma, WA 98406
Puyallup Office: 3800 3rd St. SE, Puyallup, WA 98374

Northwest Resources
235 South Third Street
Shelton, WA, 98584
Phone: (360) 426-0890
Contact: steven.wolff@nwrii.com

Olalla Recovery Centers
12851 SE Lala Cove Lane
Olalla, WA 98359
Phone: (800) 882-6201
Web site: www.olalla.org

Pathways for Recovery
3100 NW Bucklin Hill Rd. Suite 204,
Silverdale, WA, 98383
Phone ( 360) 692 4112
Contact: Kent Loveless: kentl@pathwaysforrecovery.com

Social Treatment Opportunity Programs
611 W Cota Street
Shelton, WA 98584
Phone: (253) 471-0890
Fax: (253) 471-0891 fax
Contact: Joe Johnson, Accreditation Manager

Suquamish Tribe Wellness Center
PO Box 1228
Suquamish, WA 98392
Lorraine Glover: (360) 394-8552, lglover@suquamish.nsn.us
Grace M. Jones: gjones@suquamish.nsn.us

The Coffee Oasis
837 4th St.
Bremerton, WA 98337
Phone: (360) 377-5560
Web site: www.thecoffeeoasis.com
Patrick Steele, Director of Youth Programs - patrick.steele@thecoffeeoasis.com
Joshua Goss, Oasis Crisis Team Manager - joshua.goss@thecoffeeoasis.com

The Right Choice Counseling Service Inc.
Kent Loveless, Administrator
1740 NE Riddell Rd. Suite 314
Bremerton, WA.
Phone: (360) 373-4077
Fax: (360) 792-0362
Contact: Kent Loveless: kentl@pathwaysforrecovery.com

Legal Advocacy Program
Family Outreach & Children Services Program

ALIVE Shelter
Debbie Brockman
Director, YWCA Legal Advocacy Program
YWCA of Kitsap County
PO Box 559
Bremerton, WA 98337
Phone: (360) 479-0491
Fax: (360) 479-0484
Email: ywcadebbieb@qwestoffice.net

West Sound Treatment Center
Substance Abuse Services
1415 Lumsden Road
Port Orchard, WA 98367
Phone: (360) 876-9430

Current wage information can be found for each career option. After finding the career option in O*NET OnLine, click on Wages & Employment, click Local Salary Info, select Washington, and click Go.

Employment in the field of Chemical Dependency Counseling (ATA) requires:

  1. 2500 hours of internship in the related field (placement assistance provided by Olympic College)
  2. A passing grade on the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC) Examination level 1 or higher, or the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium (ICRC) level II or higher Examination. More information can be found on The Association for Addiction Professionals website.
  3. Licensure in the state of Washington requires a criminal background check. Individuals should consult the SECRETARY’S LIST OF CRIMES AND NEGATIVE ACTIONS for a list of disqualifiable crimes. As well, students with less than 60 months since release from incarceration, students who have been convicted of felonies in the last 60 months, and students who have received treatment for substance dependency or abuse within the last 36 months should consult with an advisor before embarking on this program.
    • National Licensure Assistance to apply for, fee payment, and taking the examinations is overseen by the Washington State Department of Licensing. More information can be found at the Washington State Department of Health website.
    • License must be renewed prior to expiration at the Washington State Department of Licensing either online or by mail. The fee schedule can be found at the Washington State Department of Health website.

  • The Evergreen State College

Gainful Employment regulations passed by the federal government require colleges to disclose how certain programs (i.e., programs that meet certain criteria) prepare students for "gainful employment." Click on the link below to view gainful employment information for this program.

Chemical Dependency Professional - Gainful Employment Disclosure

Human Services - Gainful Employment Disclosure

Last reviewed/updated on: 4/28/2017