The ECE general certificate exposes teacher assistants to key concepts in developmentally appropriate practices in Early Childhood Education and specifically addresses child guidance and growth and development of children ages 0-8. Upon completion, students will be placed on level 6 of the Washington State Department of Early Learning Career lattice.
Upon completion of this program, successful students will have demonstrated the ability to apply their skills and knowledge in the following ways:
- Demonstrate understanding of child development by developing age and individually appropriate activities.
- State the cause and effect of environment on children’s behavior.
- Discuss the importance of addressing the “whole child.”
- Observe and document children’s learning behavior in a classroom setting.
- Assist in planning appropriate health, safety, and nutrition practices in programs serving ages 0-8.
- Understand the principles of ethical behavior in early childhood settings.