The ECE general certificate exposes teacher assistants to key concepts in developmentally appropriate practices in Early Childhood Education and specifically addresses child guidance and growth and development of children ages 0-8. Upon completion, students will be placed on level 6 of the Washington State Department of Early Learning Career lattice.
Advisor / Program Contacts
Upon completion of this program, successful students will have demonstrated the ability to apply their skills and knowledge in the following ways:
- Demonstrate understanding of child development by developing age and individually appropriate activities.
- State the cause and effect of environment on children’s behavior.
- Discuss the importance of addressing the “whole child.”
- Observe and document children’s learning behavior in a classroom setting.
- Assist in planning appropriate health, safety, and nutrition practices in programs serving ages 0-8.
- Understand the principles of ethical behavior in early childhood settings.