Our Digital Filmmaking program offers the serious student a unique blend of film theory and practical hands-on training.
Our students learn the craft and techniques of narrative storytelling while acquiring the technical skills and artistic sensibilities necessary to compete in the new emerging frontier of digital filmmaking. Through positive feedback and constructive criticism, our faculty cultivates and refines our student's talents until the craft of digital filmmaking and the art of visual storytelling is mastered.
Our curriculum integrates concentrated classroom study of all the major filmmaking disciplines with intensive hands-on experience in student film projects, because our philosophy stipulates that the fruits of theory realize full maturity in the practical application of the art. While the principle focus of our program is the narrative fiction film, the artistic and technical skills acquired by our students are transferable to television, commercials, documentaries, music videos, and the blossoming new arena of episodic web content.
Our curriculum imparts the critical thinking and leadership skills necessary to excel in the new emerging frontier of digital filmmaking. This program is dedicated to serving the authentic needs of the modern dramatic artists of the 21st century. Our Digital Filmmaking curriculum is not only designed to prepare students for the unprecedented opportunities in the new era of digital filmmaking, but it is also tailored to stretch and expand their talents, so they can cultivate their artistic sensibilities and successfully reach their profession goals.
Our educational philosophy clearly declares that the contemporary dramatic artist is a digital artist. This is of vital importance because knowledge and training in digital movie making means higher employment for our students upon graduation.
Advisor / Program Contacts
Upon completion of this program, successful students will have demonstrated the ability to apply their skills and knowledge in the following ways:
- Explore and master practical hands-on training in various aspects of digital filmmaking
- Acquire film directing skill and expertise in directing actors
- Practice and explore the art and craft of film acting
- Apply sophisticated film language and cinematography techniques in movie making
- Master film industry software programs
- Explore and develop digital film editing and visual effects skills
- Develop an industry resume detailing specific filmmaking crafts positions
- Demonstrate the collaborative skills that nurture personal and professional relationships that extend into the professional filmmaking industry
- Develop a demo reel from OC's student film projects
- Identify their own unique, artistic voice as visual dramatic artists
- Artfully tell original stories cinematically
Required & Prerequisite Courses
Choose 20 credits from the following:
Note 1: Communication is embedded in all Filmmaking courses. Written communication specifically
found in FILM 245, 246, and 247; Screenwriting I, II, and III.
Note 2: Human Relations coursework is included in most Filmmaking courses, most specifically
the Acting and Directing series, FILM 240-242 and 280-282.