This certificate program prepares students to apply their knowledge, skills, and abilities in a variety of workplace and entrepreneurial multimedia environments. Students will practice digital media techniques and strategies that include photography, video, web, and design projects that prepare them for working with clients and within organizations to meet digital media-based technical needs. Students will learn to produce the most cutting-edge creative projects that involve a variety of digital media formats to formulate solutions for technical problems that include photo manipulation, story-boarding, digital workflow, lighting techniques, color-management and calibration, planning, and fine-tuning end-product presentation. In this way, students will utilize current strategies and tools to plan, prepare, and deliver on high-end, technical projects.
It is relevant to both “techies” and “non-techies” alike, as the courses and skills related in the certificate translate to the “incumbent” worker, who is tasked with supporting a department or organizational unit with value-added knowledge, skills, and abilities related to communicating a well-conveyed message using digital media, specifically via the web. This program offers pathways into the Computer Information Systems (CIS) Associate of Applied Science-Transfer degree.
Upon completion of this program, successful students will have demonstrated the ability to apply their skills and knowledge in the following ways:
- Discuss and evaluate digital images using current photographic vocabulary;
- Demonstrate ability to choose proper digital photography equipment for specific photographic requirements and situations;
- Acquire and show advanced working knowledge of the general types of digital image manipulation software programs, color calibration techniques and problem solving of print and digital photo correction situations;
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of various applications, digital workflow, color management and uses for digital images by production of high quality color and black and white images for portfolio;
- Demonstrate basic proficiency with Photoshop functions, filters, layers, etc.;
- Gain insight into solving primary, problematic details of creative transference using Photoshop;
- Demonstrate the use of basic HTML;
- Demonstrate the use of basic CSS;
- Demonstrate the use of basic media integration;
- Demonstrate the development of a simple static Web site;
- Discuss single camera filmmaking production, digital cinematography, audio recording, postproduction editing and other production related skills;
- Demonstrate the artistic elements of digital filmmaking with a concentration on narrative storytelling;
- Discuss the impact of digital technologies on business processes;
- Discuss new digital technologies within the business context.
- Analyze how converging technologies, including mobile devices, cloud services, social media, search engine optimization and the emerging Internet of things, shape business functions such as customer and vendor relationships, marketing, process monitoring and optimization, and virtual collaboration.