Home / Current Students / Registration / Residency / HB1079 (Not for U.S. Citizens or permanent residents)

HB1079 (Not for U.S. Citizens or permanent residents)


HB1079 is a law affecting student eligibility to pay in-state tuition at public colleges and universities. Effective July 1, 2003, Washington state law changed the definition of "resident student." The law makes certain students, who are not permanent residents or citizens of the United States, eligible for resident student status - and eligible to pay resident tuition rates - when they attend public colleges and universities in this state. The law does not make these students eligible to receive need-based state or federal financial aid.


Under HB1079, students are eligible for resident tuition rates if they have:

  • Resided in Washington state for the three years immediately prior to receiving a high school diploma, and completed the full senior year at a Washington high school, or
  • Completed the equivalent of a high school diploma and resided in Washington state for the three years immediately before receiving the equivalent of the diploma, and
  • Continuously resided in the state since earning the high school diploma or its equivalent.

Students meeting these criteria are required to submit an affidavit indicating that they will file an application to become a permanent resident at the earliest opportunity they are eligible to do so, and indicate a willingness to engage in other activities necessary to acquire citizenship, such as citizenship or civics review courses.

Students must complete an affidavit. Please submit the original copy of a completed affidavit to the admissions office of Olympic College. Faxed or e-mailed forms, or forms without an original signature, are not acceptable.

Contact Registration with additional questions.