To be eligible to pay resident tuition, a student must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, who:

  • Is financially independent
  • Has established a domicile in Washington State other than educational purposes for a period of at least one full year prior to the beginning date of the quarter or
  • Is a dependent student whose parents or legal guardians have maintained a domicile in the Washington State for at least one full year prior to the beginning date of the quarter and
  • Who further meets and complies with all applicable requirements of WAC 250-18-030 and 250-18-035.

Note: Active duty military personnel stationed in Washington State and their dependents who present military ID at registration will be granted a waiver of non-resident tuition and are charged at the resident rate.


Generally, State residents document their legal residence in Washington by showing that the entire 12 months immediately preceding the beginning of the quarter, they have done all of the following:

  • Held a Washington driver's license or identification card
  • Had their vehicle registered in Washington
  • Been registered to vote in Washington (if applicable)

Students meeting the above criteria who were previously classified as non-residents are responsible for requesting a change in their residency status. Forms and information are available in the Registration and Records Office.


Washington state law (HB1079) makes certain students, who are not permanent residents or citizens of the United States, eligible for resident student status. They are eligible to pay resident tuition rates - when they attend public colleges and universities in this state. The law does not make these students eligible to receive need-based state or federal financial aid. See more about non-resident student status