This certificate prepares students for entry level employment in commercial bakeries. Graduates will be prepared to apply the fundamentals of baking science to the preparation of a variety of products. They will be skilled in advanced presentation and decorating techniques as well as complex preparations of pastry, confections and dessert products. They will also be able to use and care for equipment normally found in bakeshops or baking areas.
Advisor / Program Contacts
Upon completion of this program, successful students will have demonstrated the ability to apply their skills and knowledge in the following ways:
- Demonstrate safe food handling, storing, preparing and serving practices.
- Analyze kitchen environments and identify and correct unsafe food handling, preparing and serving issues.
- Apply basic computation to solve food preparation and service problems.
- List and describe basic baking tools and equipment, and describe their appropriate care.
- Prepare and evaluate a wide range of baking products including: breads, pies, tarts, cakes, Pate Choux, meringues, creams, custards, puttings, souffles and candies.
- Artfully decorate and present desserts.