This certificate is designed to provide students with entry level manufacturing skills in composites and a foundation to pursue other certificates and two year degrees in manufacturing in this specialty.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate fundamental work ready skills, including the proper conduct and procedures necessary to safely and effec-tively work in a composites technology environment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of compos-ites terminology, with the ability to define, utilize, and explain pertinent vocabulary.
- Participate in and contribute to the effectiveness of teams using basic and electronic communication skills including reading, writing, speaking, listening and interpreting, to meet the needs of the workplace.
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic design considerations and the use of common fabrication techniques for com-posite structures to include reinforcements, polymer resin systems, and core materials.
- Demonstrate the ability to use applied math and to interpret and comply with specifications, drawings, and written procedures.
- Demonstrate the recognition, use, handling and disposal of hazardous materials of a typical composite materials fabrication shop per OSHA guidelines.
- Employ the proper techniques and procedures in the use of hand tools, power equipment, and precision measuring devises commonly found in a composites fabrication shop.
- Describe matrix materials, resins and fiber reinforcements and their design consid-erations for advanced composite material structures with an emphasis on mechanical, physical, and manufacturing properties.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the applications of composites in industry and the career paths available.