This program is designed for students who wish to fulfill the education requirements for certification as Chemical Dependency Professionals through the Department of Health in Washington State (WAC 246-811-077). Only professionals listed in WAC 246-811-076 are eligible for certification though alternative training. Eligible practitioners include and are limited to the following: Advanced registered nurse practitioner, marriage and family therapist, mental health counselor, advanced social worker or independent clinical social worker, psychologist, osteopathic physician, osteopathic physician assistant, physician, physician assistant. Practitioners must hold already an active license to be eligible for this training.
Advisor / Program Contacts
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate familiarity with disease model of addiction and the ways it impacts individuals throughout the life course.
- Demonstrate familiarity with pharmacological actions of alcohol and other drugs and the physiology of addiction.
- Demonstrate familiarity with substance abuse and addiction treatment methods, addiction placement, continuing care, and discharge criteria (including American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) criteria).
- Demonstrate familiarity with effective treatment planning, case management referral, use of community resources, and service coordination.
- Demonstrate familiarity with substance use disorder law and ethics.
- Effectively utilize the techniques used in individual counseling; group counseling; and counseling for families, couples and significant others who are affected by chemical dependency.