Dick McKimson | 2018 Inductee

Home / Athletics / Dick McKimson | 2018 Inductee


Today's Date is Wednesday, December, 11, 2019
No Upcoming Games Scheduled

Dick McKimson was a member of the OC football and track & field teams.  He set the record for the 880 yard race at South Kitsap High School. At OC, he continued to dominate that race, winning it at the Washington State Junior College Athletic Association championships in both 1951 & 1952.  At the ’51 meet, he also competed on the winning mile relay team while placing second in both the 100 yard dash and the javelin.  These points helped the Rangers to narrowly defeat Grays Harbor 43-38 for the conference championship.  

The 1952 State Championship was a special meet for OC.  The team won 10 of 15 events to score 77 points. a state record that would last 12 years.  McKimson scored 17 of those points by winning the 100, the 880, the javelin, and as a member of the winning mile relay team.  He also took 4thin the pole vault, an event he had competed in just once prior.

Though he didn’t see much action, McKimson was a member of the 1950 football team that went undefeated. The Rangers’ 10-0 record won them the right to host the Bremerton Shrine Bowl where they went on to defeat Napa (CA). That win pitted them again Bakersfield (CA) in the Shrine Potato Bowl where they won 14-7.

In 1951, McKimson earned a starting spot.  The Rangers had another great season, ending in the Dust Bowl against Yuba City (CA). The game was played in what McKimson remembers as the ‘worst storm in 100 years.’  After a long, cold, windy game, the score was 14-14 tie and McKimson was the most tired he’d ever been after a football game or any sports in his life.  At the end of the ’51 season, he was named to the WSJCAAC’s All Conference team as a defensive back.

McKimson earned a spot on the Montana roster but the day he was to leave for Missoula, an Army draft notice arrived in his mailbox.  Once discharged, he moved home after a walk-on spot to Michigan State fell through and started going to school at the University of Washington.  Frustrated, he was about to leave campus to pursue other options with a couple of Bremerton guys saw him and dragged him to the track coach’s office.  Though the team didn’t need a 880 runner, they did require someone to run the 440. McKimson decided to stay at UW and compete in the 440.  “I really wasn’t hot about it, but I decided to run the 440.  I won a few races and lost a few, and lettered.”  He would letter in both 1956 and 1957.  

McKimson now lives in Mountlake Terrace.