This certificate is designed to provide students with advanced level manufacturing, inspection, repair skills in composites and a foundation to pursue other certificates and two-year degrees in manufacturing in this specialty.
Advisor / Program Contacts
Upon completion of this program, successful students will have demonstrated the ability to apply their skills and knowledge in the following ways:
- Practice in and contribute to the effectiveness of teams.
- Use basic communication skills (writing, reading, speaking, listening and computing) to meet the needs of the workplace.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply mathematical computation skills necessary to plan and execute a composite materials fabrication project using fabrics, wet resins, and prepregs.
- Apply advanced composite materials terminology in the analysis of real world manufacturing, inspection, and repair scenarios.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the proper conduct and procedures necessary to effectively and safely work in a composites shop.
- Employ the proper techniques and procedures to use hand tools and precision measuring devises commonly found in a composites fabrication, inspection, and repair shop.
- Demonstrate the correct method in the assembly of a vacuum bag capable of autoclave part fabrication.
- Demonstrate the correct method in the assembly of a vacuum bag used in the repair of composite materials.
- Apply learned skills in a “hands on” setting while completing real life fabrication scenarios.
- Practice common fastener and bonded assembly techniques commonly used in the repair and manufacturing of advanced composite material parts and assemblies.
- Apply learned skills in a “hands on” setting while completing real life fabrication, inspection, and repair scenarios.
- Describe matrix materials, resins and fiber reinforcements and their design considerations for advanced composite material structures with an emphasis on mechanical, physical, and manufacturing properties.
- Evaluate a real world design/manufacturing problems and compute materials usage, physical properties and mechanical properties.
- Interpret an advanced composite engineering drawings, layup schedules, ply drop offs, and tolerancing used for fabrication and quality control.
- Analyze the benefits and drawbacks of different core materials used in industry for laminated sandwich panels, and demonstrate the fabrication techniques specific to foam and Honeycomb cores.