Home / Services / Veterans Services Office / Veterans Services FAQ

Veterans Services FAQ

There are two ways to apply for your benefits:

  • Bring your DD-214 discharge papers (or Notice of Basic Eligibility if you are in the National Guard or Reserves and do not have a DD214) to the Veterans’ Services office (VSO), fill out an application form, and we will mail your paperwork to the regional office.
  • Apply on-line using the VA’s VONAPP web, print a copy of your application and bring it to the VSO office so that we can create your file. 

  • If you have never used your benefits before, apply for MGIB by using either VA Form 22-1990, or for Survivors’ and Dependants’ Benefits use VA Form 22-5490.  
  • If you have used your benefits before, complete a change of program or place of training VA Form 22-1995 (for MGIB) or VA Form 22-5495 for Survivors’ and Dependants’ Benefits. 

VA forms can be obtained by visiting us at the VSO or on the web.

Once you have applied to Olympic College please do the following in order to be paid:

  • Visit our office for the intake process so that we may create your file.
  • Bring or email to VeteranServices@olympic.edu, a copy  of your class schedule before each quarter.  This can be obtained at OC’s OASIS website.
  • For students using MGIB (Chapters 30, 1606 and 1607), be sure to verify your enrollment on the last calendar day of each month you attend classes either by calling the MGIB Monthly Verification System at 1-877-823-2378 or online using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) website through Gibill.
  • Maintain at least a 2.0 GPA.
  • Have military transcripts and other college education evaluated prior to your third quarter of attendance.  Contact our office for more information.

Call the VA at 1-888-GI BILL (1-888-442-4551).  Note that the VSO does not determine or confirm eligibility for educational benefits; this is done by the VA.

Make sure you have done everything required in order to receive your benefits, as outlined above. 

Also, check our Reasons for Delay page for further information.  In addition, you may contact the VSO for further assistance.

If the VSO has taken all the necessary steps for you to collect your benefits, we will direct you to call the VA hotline at 1-888-GI BILL (1-888-442-4551).

As always, contact our office or the VA if you have any questions or concerns.