Home / Programs & Classes / High School Completion

High School Completion

Solutions Through Insight

ABE and GED Preparation

Basic Studies offer courses in Adult Basic Education (ABE) and GED Preparation which are non-credit courses intended for those who want to develop the reading, writing, and math skills needed to pass the GED test and begin college level work or training. Explore more about ABE and GED.

GED - Frequently Asked Questions

Call or email to schedule an appointment: (360) 475-7550cmetcalf@olympic.edu

Visit Basic Studies for answers: HSS 223 

High School Completion

To receive a diploma students must meet with a counselor or designated advisor to review your official transcripts. Both developmental and college-level courses are used to meet minimum state requirements which are the same courses taken by all students. There are certain courses that are used for the high school completion but there is no 'special program' with separate courses.


Call or email to schedule an appointment: 360.475.7530AdvisingCenter@olympic.edu.

Visit the Advising and Counseling Center for answers: HSS203.

  • Get official transcript(s) from the school district(s) or high school registrar. Usually the transcript from the last high school attended with have all the courses taken. Some Tech Prep and prior college courses may apply. Transcripts must have a seal and marked 'OFFICIAL' and be in an unopened envelope. If the envelop is opened, the transcript is no longer considered official. You may have them sent to the address below:

Olympic College
Advising & Counseling Center/High School Completion
1600 Chester Ave. 
Bremerton, WA 98337

  • To get a Student ID number you must apply for admission to Olympic College at no cost. This may be done on campus with the Registration office.
  • High Release Form is required if your class has not graduated?
    • If your graduating class has not yet graduated and you are under the age of 18, you must also obtain a high school release from the high school. This must be signed by the principal or HS counselor and by a parent or guardian. 
  • Make an appointment to have your transcripts evaluated. Call the campus nearest you: 
    • Bremerton campus: 360.475.7530, Shelton campus: 360.432.5430 or Poulsbo campus: 360.394.2725.
    • A transcript evaluation will determine what high school credits/courses are still needed and any additional state requirements
  • The school district may issue an unofficial transcript if you have a debt.
    • We can use an unofficial copy but an official copy is required before the diploma is awarded.
  • For students needing high school English or mathematics credits you will need to take the Accuplacer assessment to determine the proper placement. There is a non-refundable fee of $20. Please visit Assessment and Testing Center to learn more. The assessment is designed to place you a course where you are most likely to succeed.

  • Visit current tuition rates to see the costs per credit. 
    • ​If you are under 19 years of age or you are not a Washington State resident, you must pay full tuition rates along with any additional fees and course materials.   
  • Washington State residents who are 19 years of age and over may pay a reduced tuition rate. A counselor's signature is required. Some restrictions may apply.  
    • FAFSA is not currently available to those without a GED or high school diploma.
  • Some courses do not have any books or extra fees. Most course require books and other marterials that can costs hundreds of dollars depending on the course.
  • There is a non-refundable fee of $10 that covers the cost to apply for the high school diploma after all requirements are met.

  • We can tell you what high school credits are still needed after an evaluation of official transcripts is done.
    • There are no special high school courses that students take to meet the requirements for the diploma. 
    • OC courses are taken and some have a prerequisite.
  • The Accuplacer assessment is used to determine placement for math and English courses which may be below college-level.
  • High school is not college.
    • Students are expected to write at a college-level (i.e., essays, reports).
    • Some professors do not have the time or interest to help students.
    • There are certain courses that are used for the high school completion but there is no 'special program' with separate courses.
  • We use Washington State requirements to determine what the requirements for each graduating class. 
  • Students must complete at least 10 credits at Olympic College with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
    • One high school credit is equal to five college credits (i.e., 4 HS credits x 5 = 20 OC credits). 

  • Additional State Testing Requirements apply to those who are under the age of 21. Once you each 21, these additional state additional are no longer application.
  • We follow what is printed on the trancripts your provide for each of the following:
    • The transcript will indicate if the assessments (WASL, HSPE, etc), the High School and Beyond Plan, and the Culminating project requirement are met.
    • The Culminating Project or High School and Beyond Plan requirements may be met by working with the counselors/advisor.
    • All Washington State Tests are given by your local school district and is not provided the college. You contact your high school if tesing is still needed.
  • We cannot award a diploma without a GPA of at least 2.0 and successful completion of any additional State requirements if you are under the age of 21.
  • Students who have been home schooled are bound by the same state laws. Transcripts with home-schooled courses may not be acceptable.