Home / Programs & Classes / GED and High School Completion

GED and High School Completion

Explore how these program can help you improve your reading, writing and math skills, earn a High School diploma, improve your English language skills, and more!

ABE and GED Preparation

Courses in Adult Basic Education (ABE) and GED Preparation are non-credit courses intended for those who want to develop the reading, writing, and math skills needed to pass the GED test or to begin college level work or training. Explore ABE and GED

High School Completion

Complete college courses And earn a state high school diploma! To receive a diploma students must meet with a counselor or designated advisor after all grades are posted to your unofficial transcript.  You are given a copy of the High School Completion Contract, official HS transcripts, an unofficial OC transcript, and a form to submit to the cashier.  You pay a $10.00 processing fee.  

To schedule an appointment: 

Advising & Counseling Center
Humanities & Student Services Bldg., 203

360.475.7530 CounselingServices@olympic.edu 

For more on High School Completion, see the FAQs in the tabs below. 

1. Get official transcript(s) from the school district(s) or high school registrar.  Usually the last transcript has all high school courses taken (e.g., Tech Prep, AP, college in HS). Transcripts must be in a sealed envelope to be official. Hand deliver to the counselor or designee. You may have transcripts sent to you, but DO NOT open them. If you have them sent to us, use the address below:

Olympic College
ATTN: Advising & Counseling Center/High School Completion
1600 Chester Ave. 
Bremerton, WA 98337

2. To get a Student ID number you must apply for admission to Olympic College.  You can do this on campus in the Humanities and Student Services building.

  • Has your HS class graduated yet?
    • If your graduating class has not yet graduated and you are under 18, you must also obtain a high school release form from the high school.  This must be signed by the principal or HS counselor and by a parent or guardian.

3. Make an appointment to have your transcripts evaluated.

  • For the Bremerton campus call Counseling Services at 360.475.7530, for Shelton call 360.432.5430 and for Poulsbo call 360.394.2725.
  • A transcript evaluation will determine what high school credits/courses are still needed and any additional state requirements.
  • If you have fines, the registrar may only issue an unofficial transcript.  

Note: For students still needing high school English or mathematics credits, you will need to take the Accuplacer assessment to determine the proper placement. This assessment is designed to place you in courses where you are most likely to succeed. Please contact the Assessment and Testing Center to schedule a time. There is a non-refundable fee of $20.

For more on High School Completion, click the tabs below: 

If you are under 19 years of age or you are not a Washington State resident, you must pay full tuition rates. Additional fees may apply.  A chart of current tuition rates is available online.

If you are 19 years old or older and a Washington State resident, the State of Washington subsidizes tuition as a form of financial aid.  You must have earned a total of nine (9) high school credits to received the rate reduction.

There are also additional fees that will be assessed, not including books. 

In addition to tuition and fees, books may be required which can cost a $100 or more depending on the course. When you are ready to apply for your diploma, there will be a non-refundable fee of $10.

After an evaluation of official transcripts are done, we can tell you what high school credits are still needed and what OC courses you will need to take. Depending on what credits are needed you may take either college-level courses (100 or higher) or developmental courses (090 to 099).  The Accuplacer assessment is used to determine placement for math and English courses.  There are no special high school courses that students take to meet the requirements for the state diploma. 

Certain college-level courses taken, those numbered 100 or higher, may apply toward the HS diploma requirements and a degree or certificate.  Again, there are no courses specifically created for high school completion.  Most courses require many reading and writing assignments; students are expected to write at a college-level (i.e., essays, reports, etc.).

We use Washington State requirements for the high school completion program.  These include 19 credits or more depending on when you entered HS.  These include English, mathematics, U.S. history, Washington State history, Contemporary World Problems, Science, Physical Education, Occupational, Art, and Electives. 

Students must complete at least 10 credits at Olympic College with a 2.0 or "C" average. These are counted as part of the total credits needed to earn the diploma.

Note: One high school credit is equal to five college credits (i.e., 4 hs credits x 5 OC credits = 20 OC credits). 

Please note that State Testing requirements apply to students who started or would have started their high school freshman year in September, 2004 or later. These new requirements include:

  1. Successful completion of the Washington Assessment of Student Learning (WASL) or the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE), Certificate of Academic Achievement;
  2. High School and Beyond Plan and Culminating project. The culminating project and high school and beyond plan requirement can be met by enrolling and successfully completing General Studies 100, Strategies for Academic Success.
  3. Completion of the 19 required credits as specified by the state. 

Students who have been home schooled and would have entered their freshman year September 2004 or later are also bound by the same rules.  Contact a local school district regarding completion of the testing requirements if you are 20 years of age and under.  OC is unable to administer the State Tests and cannot award a diploma without successful completion of the WASL OR HSPE tests.