The Bachelor of Applied Science in information systems (BAS IS) program is directed
by guiding principles that reflect state, college and program missions. It affirms core
values, articulates program objectives and shapes program outcomes.
Access: We believe in fostering opportunities for all students.
Adaptability: We believe students should be agile players in a dynamic industry.
Civility: We believe students should be locally and globally engaged.
Rigor: We believe students should be well-prepared.
Evaluation: We believe in continuous improvement through ongoing assessment.
We believe in fostering opportunities for all students.
- ● The program welcomes a diverse student body
- ● All aspects of the program will be learner-centered
- ● Learning materials will be available online
- ● Students may be awarded credit for prior learning
- ● Smooth pathways from high school to associate degree, and through to a Bachelor
of Applied Science will be clearly established
- ● Pathways beyond the baccalaureate level will be identified and facilitated
- ● Long-term relationships between students and alumni will be cultivated
We believe students should be agile players in a dynamic industry.
- ● The program will be responsive to rapidly changing industry trends
- ● Curriculum will be continually reviewed and revised for timeliness and relevance
- ● Students will create their own professional development strategies to stay current with technology
- ● Industry-based projects and models will assist students in seamless transition to the workplace
We believe students should be locally and globally engaged.
- ● Course content will be taught in the context of sound, ethical, and sustainable decision-making
- ● Students will gain an understanding of global perspectives
- ● Students will apply theory to real-world needs and solutions
- ● We will nurture respectful discourse, active listening and cooperative learning
We believe students should be well prepared.
- ● Students will be conversant in broad-based information systems concepts
- ● Curriculum will be competency-based
- ● Program will be aligned with industry certifications
- ● Sound security practices will be integrated throughout the curriculum
- ● Critical thinking, research and project-based group work will be integral to classroom success
- ● Student knowledge will be tried and expanded through internships, work experience, and practicums
We believe in continuous improvement through ongoing assessment.
- ● All classes will have clear, measurable objectives and learning outcomes
- ● Students will be successful through demonstrated mastery of core knowledge and abilities
- ● Program assessments will be inclusive to measure student learning and success
- ● There will be an ongoing process for program analysis, development and evaluation