Apply for Running Start

Start Early!

Complete a general Application for Admission, take the college assessment and then submit a Running Start Application form with a copy of your assessment scores and a copy of your high school transcript by the following priority dates:

  • Fall Quarter: May 1
  • Winter Quarter: November 1
  • Spring Quarter: February 1

Running Start students are required to pay all college mandatory fees effective Fall Quarter 2009. However, students who qualify for free and reduced lunches at the high school are eligible to apply for a Running Start Tuition and Fee Waiver. Once accepted all fees and any tuition for credits over the 1.2 FTE will be waived and student may request to borrow textbooks from the Running Start Textbook Library.

Information guide and application packet

Download the Application and Information Packet  or request a copy from your high school counselor or the Running Start Office.

Steps to Apply


Submit a General OC Application for Admission online.

Please indicate Running Start as your college program or course of study (this is important so you get directed into the Running Start admissions process instead of the regular student admissions process). You will receive an OC Student Identification Number (SID) by mail or by e-mail.


Take ACCUPLACER, the college assessment.

Once you have your SID number you may schedule the assessment for reading, writing, and mathematics skills. Indicate the assessment is for Running Start. Students with disabilities may contact Access Services for information about assessment accommodations. (see link at left)

Bremerton: Advising and Counseling Center
360-475-7531 or
1-800-259-6718 ext. 7531
Poulsbo: Student Services Office
Shelton: Front Office
Fee: $20 non-refundable fee due when you schedule online.  

Students may take no more than 2 assessments in one calendar year. The assessment fee is required each time a student takes the assessment. Placement scores are valid for 2 years.

What to take to your assessment appointment:

  • Cashier’s receipt showing proof of payment
  • Photo ID
  • SID

* Please allow extra time to park and get parking pass.

Review your assessment scores.

Students must place into English 101, Composition, (college level writing and college level reading) to qualify to enroll in college classes other than mathematics. To enroll in mathematics classes, students must place into Math 107/141 or above. College level math placement is not required for Running Start admission.

Apply to Running Start.

Submit the following together by the priority due dates listed above:
  • Running Start Application form
  • Copy of your assessment scores
  • Copy of your high school transcript (unofficial copy is OK)
  • Running Start Student/Parent Agreement
Mail to: Olympic College
Running Start Office
1600 Chester Avenue
Bremerton, WA 98337-1699
In person: OC Bremerton
Humanities & Student Services Bldg, Room 208
OC Poulsbo
Student Services Office, Room 114
OC Shelton
Front Office

Home school and private school students

For home school students to access Running Start, check with your local school district for their policy. Some districts will want you to be registered at the high school and meet with a high school counselor each quarter to sign off on the Enrollment Verification Form, while some school districts will have the district office sign off each quarter on the Enrollment Verification Form.   
Private school students must enroll through a public high school to participate in Running Start. Students may have dual enrollment in the private school and public school and do not have to take classes at the public high school.