Preschool For Your Child
- How often: 1 to 4 days per week depending upon age of child
- Hours: Usually 1-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours in the morning or afternoon
- Cost: Varies from $25 to $285 per month depending upon number of days, location, and age of child
- Prerequisite: Enroll in parent education class; parent must work in preschool classroom 2 to 4 times per month
- Locations: Belfair, Hansville, Bainbridge Island, Kingston, Poulsbo, and Shelton
- Contact: Olympic College Parent Education Program at (360) 475-7195
Co-op preschools are independent, nonprofit small businesses run by parents. Business decisions of the preschool are made by the Board of Directors, elected by the members of the co-op. Olympic College provides training, advice, and networking for the co-ops. Parents have an opportunity to develop leadership skills and gain experience in the operation of a small business.
2008 was the 70th Anniversary of Parent Education in the State of Washington!
The model for co-ops, where parents and children learn and grow together, was established in Washington State in 1938. Research has since confirmed the extraordinary value of parent participation in early childhood education. Because of the co-ops' unique approach to supporting the growth of both parents and children, the community college system agreed in the 1960's to provide coordination and educational services to children and parents. Olympic College has been providing support for Cooperative preschools in the Kitsap County area since 1958.
Parent Education Classes
All parents with children enrolled in the Cooperative preschools must participate in a monthly Parent Education class. While the children do their work of growing and learning, the parents learn and grow through involvement with and observation of the children's classroom, as well as through guided discussion and support in the college classroom. Parents earn two college credits per quarter for participating in these classes.
(See "Parent Education" link on left side of page for more information)
Olympic College Cooperative Preschools follow the guidelines established by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).