Certificate of Recognition
This program will prepare students to assist registered nurses or licensed practical nurses in providing basic nursing care for clients in acute and long-term settings. The classes will be small and geared toward developing basic academic skills in an applied work setting. The training will include learning and refining client-care skills, clinical observation, and performing skills in a supervised clinical setting.
Courses must be taken and passed consecutively to progress to the next class. Students are encouraged to complete all classes in one quarter. Students will have completed and exceeded the required classroom and clinical hours required for Nursing Assistant Certification by Washington State law (WAC 246-841-490). All classes MUST be completed within one year to receive a Certificate of Completion from the Washington Department of Health and to be eligible to test for Certification as a Nursing Assistant. Criminal history background check must be passed in order to take the H-OCC 118 Nursing Assistant Practicum. Proof of personal health insurance and malpractice insurance, written verification of all state and federal immunization requirements and tuberculosis testing is required prior to beginning H-OCC 118.
Program Outcomes Upon completion of the program, successful students will have demonstrated the ability to apply their skills and knowledge in the following ways:
- Assist in the care of individuals as delegated by and under the direction of a licensed registered nurse or licensed practical nurse (RCW 18.88A.030).
- Use caring, responsive oral and written communication in interaction with diverse clients and health care team members.
- Use ethical decision-making in caring for clients. Ethics includes abiding by laws, code of ethics and promoting client rights and independence.
- Effectively meet the mental health and psychosocial needs of clients with mental illness or cognitive impairment through application of therapeutic principles and behaviors.
- Use principles of asepsis and infection control to prevent the spread of microorganisms.
- Participate competently as a valuable member of the health care team while practicing within the scope of practice of nursing assistant functions.
|Advisor ||Office ||Phone |
|Frost, Amy||Health Occupations 140 ||360.475.7764 |
|H-OCC||110||Intro to Nursing Assistant||2|
|H-OCC||112||Tools for Success*||2|
|H-OCC||114||Fundamentals of Nsg Assist*||3|
|H-OCC||116||Basic Technical Skills*||2|
|H-OCC||118||Nursing Assistant Practicum*||4|
|Total Credits Required||13|
*See course description for prerequisite.
Source: 2014-2015 Olympic College Catalog