Medical Billing & Coding
Certificate of Specialization
This program is designed to prepare students for careers as Medical Billing and Coding specialists. It includes various foundation courses for healthcare professionals, as well as specialized courses for insurance billing and coding. Students will develop skills and knowledge to translate diseases, conditions, and procedures into numerical designations as needed for appropriate reimbursement. A supervised externship in clinics, insurance companies, or other medical facilities provides experience to prepare students for entry level positions in a healthcare setting. This program requires a minimum of four quarters for completion. It may also be completed on a part-time basis. Students planning to enroll in MEDA 213 and MEDA 214 must receive instructor permission. The student must have completed all required courses with a minimum grade of 2.5 in each course to qualify for an externship placement. Further, all required courses must be taken within the previous three years to register for MEDA 213 and MEDA 214.
Program Prerequisites Students entering the Medical Billing and Coding program are required to take the Accuplacer placement test for English and Math. Scores must place the student above Math 94 and above English 99 to successfully enroll in all MA classes. Students must show proof of typing proficiency of 35 wpm with 90% accuracy to enter the Medical Billing and Coding program.
Prior to placement in externship, students will need to submit a completed application packet to the instructor. Requirements include:
- Completed application.
- Proof of up-to-date immunization status with at least the initial injection of the Hepatitis B series and TB testing within one year.
- Purchase of malpractice insurance which is available from the cashier in the HSS Building.
- Signed Confidentiality Statement.
- All students will be required to request a Criminal History Information Background Check. A student who cannot participate in an externship based on a positive background inquiry check will not be able to successfully complete the program.
- Additional requirements including titers for chicken pox and/or measles may be compelled by certain extern sites.
Program Outcomes Upon completion of this program, successful students will have demonstrated the ability to apply their skills and knowledge in the following ways:
- Demonstrate the ability to code and bill accurately, ethically and assertively.
- Accurately apply billing and coding principles to optimize reimbursement.
- Demonstrate the ability to research and explain insurance coverage to patients and their families.
- Handle all components of claims processing efficiently.
- Effectively manage patient accounts for billing.
- Accurately prepare claims for submission to insurance companies in hard copy or electronically.
- Demonstrate understanding of the requirements of various health plans and submittal forms.
- Enter demographic data accurately in various software programs.
- Effectively demonstrate professional behavior as needed in the workplace.
Gainful Employment regulations passed by the federal government require colleges to disclose how certain programs (i.e., programs that meet certain criteria) prepare students for "gainful employment." Click on the link below to view gainful employment information for this program.
Medical Billing & Coding - Gainful Employment Disclosure Template
|CIS||150||Survey of Computing||4|
|MEDA||110||Anatomy and Physiology*||5|
|MEDA||111||Pathophysiology for Med Assisting*||4|
|MEDA||112||Med Law, Ethics and Bioethics||3|
|MEDA||114||Coding/Alternative Health Settings*||3|
|MEDA||115||Computers in the Medical Office*||4|
|MEDA||116||Pharmacology for Reimbursement*||2|
|MEDA||117||Healthcare Customer Service||3|
|MEDA||120||Medical Office Procedures I*||4|
| || |
|MEDA||162||Medical Terminology*||5|| |
|or the following two courses:|| |
|MEDA||160||Medical Terminology I*||3|| |
|MEDA||161||Medical Terminology II*||3||5-6|
| || |
|MEDA||163||Medical Insurance Billing*||3|
|MEDA||164||Coding in Outpatient Settings*||3|
|MEDA||180||AIDS/HIV/Blood Borne Pathogens||1|
|MEDA||205||Medical Claims and Coding*||2|
|MEDA||213||Externship for Billing and Coding*||6|
|MEDA||214||Human Relations for Billing/Coding*||2|
|OLRM||220||Human Relations in the Workplace||3|
|Total Credits Required||62-63|
*See course description for prerequisite.
Source: 2014-2015 Olympic College Catalog