This program is designed to allow the student to complete all of the required instruction to qualify for the Washington State Cosmetology License examination and at the same time complete an Associate in Technical Arts Degree. This degree is provided through a joint agreement between the West Sound Technical Skills Center and Olympic College. For acceptance into the program, the student must make application at the West Sound Technical Skills Center and meet all core and program requirements.
At the end of the program, successful students will be able to:
- Demonstrate written and practical skills required for the application process and examination to obtain state licensing.
- Exhibit managerial skills and working knowledge of state laws that is necessary to establish a new, small business or operate an existing salon or retail business.
- Apply product knowledge of the industry in a retail sales and service agreement.
- Provide training to clientele via educational seminars and consultation.
- Perform employability standards such as customer service, communication and listening skills, performance, characteristics (i.e. adaptability, responsibility, punctuality cooperation, etc.) and work ethics.
- Observe safety issues, industry-related laws and regulations and remedy unsafe practices.
Associate in Technical Arts
Certificate of Specialization
Certificate of Proficiency
- Cosmetology Instructor
MEDIAN HOURLY WAGE IN WASHINGTON STATE
$13.32 - $14.06
West Sound Tech Faculty: Therese Gesch
OC Business and Technology Division
Source: 2012 Olympic College Workforce Development "Red Book"