Practical Nursing (PN)
Hello from Olympic College!
Thank you for your interest in the Olympic College Practical Nursing Program.
The Olympic College Practical Nursing Program is a one-year program that prepares graduates to provide safe direct patient care as licensed practical nurses (LPN) in acute care, long-term care, home health, and ambulatory care settings.
The program includes both classroom study and supervised clinical practice (patient care). Classroom study covers basic nursing concepts and patient-care related subjects, including anatomy, physiology, medical-surgical nursing, pediatrics, obstetrics, mental health, geriatric nursing, administration of medication, and nutrition and professional role development. Clinical practice experiences are held in a variety of patient care settings.
A Certificate of Specialization is awarded upon completion of the Practical Nursing Program requirements. Graduates will then be eligible to take the licensing examination (NCLEX-PN). The program is approved by the Washington State Nursing Care Quality Assurance Commission. Olympic College is accredited by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges.
Before seeking admission to the Practical Nursing Program (PN) program, you need to attend a Nursing Information Session and follow the additional requests below prior to the August 31st deadline of the academic year you plan to enter the Practical Nursing Program:
- To make a reservation to attend a Practical Nursing Information Session, please email: email@example.com, with your name, telephone number and the date of the session you wish to attend. At the session, you will be given information about the program, the coursework, and the application procedure, (if you are out of state see note two).
- Send Official Transcripts from ALL college(s)/university(s) you have attended; and complete the transfer credit evaluation process. See instructions.
- Fluency in the English language (reading comprehension and writing); a necessary requirement for licensure as a nurse.
- Completion of the prerequisite/support courses with a minimum grade of 2.0 in each course before the August 31st deadline. Courses completed summer quarter with the required grade of 2.0 or better will be included in the student's file as required for winter (January) admission consideration.
- Read through the PN Application Packet you receive at the Information Session. Turn in your application, official transcripts of any colleges and all educational institution(s) for consideration to Registration and Records by August 31st and request an Evaluation of Transfer Credit. *An extension may be given for transcript submission of summer courses taken at another college or university. Please see advisor for additional information.
If you did not take your sciences at Olympic College please see
course review information.
*Note: Formal application to the Nursing Program should be made when currently registered for last prerequisite courses.
(1) Note: A general admission offer to Olympic College will enable you to enroll in general or prerequisite coursework. It does not guarantee or grant acceptance to
the Practical Nursing Program. In addition, completion of the prerequisite
coursework does not guarantee admission to the Practical Nursing program. All Practical Nursing admission notices are issued separately by the Registration
and Records Office.
(2) Note: If you live out of state, request an application packet by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, address, state, current email address and
the nursing program you are applying for. If you do receive a packet because you
live out of state and are unable to attend an information session, it is important
that you submit the appropriate materials by the stated deadline in the application packet you received.
We are excited about the possibility that you may be able to further your
education at Olympic College.