PROCEDURES TO QUALIFY FOR ACCEPTANCE INTO COSMETOLOGY, ESTHETICIAN & INSTRUCTOR TRAINING PROGRAM
Here are the steps needed for admission into the comprehensive Cosmetology program offered through Olympic College at the West Sound Technical Skills Center.
1. Attend a Cosmetology Information Session.
FALL INFO SESSION: Thursday September 18, 2014 from 5:00 to 7:30 pm on the main OC campus in HSS 129, Humanities and Student Services building.
2. Apply for admissions at Olympic College
Online: www.olympic.edu/GetStarted or at all campuses.
3. Fund your education: Information about financial aid, scholarships, veteran, and other funding options available at http://www.olympic.edu/Students/GettingStarted/FinancialAid
4. Take the math and English placement assessment (Accuplacer)
Assessment Center locations online at www.olympic.edu/ or call
OC Bremerton 360-475-7238
OC Poulsbo 360-394-2725
OC Shelton 360-432-5400
Testing Accommodation 360-475-7540
5. Meet with your Olympic College Advisor to discuss the required core classes listed below and attend the Student Orientation to Advising and Registration (SOAR) session at Olympic College.
REQUIRED COURSES - CORE REQUIREMENTS CREDITS
* English 101 may be substituted for English 100. Please see your advisor.
Business and Personal Mathematics
Composition - Selected Prof/Tech/Voc *
Human Relations in the Workplace
6. Criminal Background Check
Complete a Washington State Patrol Criminal History check online. The website is https://fortress.wa.gov/wsp/watch/ If the report is returned with crimes against persons, you will not be able to continue the enrollment process. Please print one copy for yourself and one copy for the school.
Register for the Cosmetology Programs: Follow the above-required Procedures to Qualify for Acceptance into Cosmetology, Esthetician & Instructor Training Programs.
Once completed contact the Olympic College Cosmetology Program Advisor:
Cosmetology Program Advisor
West Sound Technical Skills Center
101 National Ave N
Bremerton WA 98312
360-473-0563 or 360-473-0561
A copy of your transcript with completed core classes and WSP Background Check will be required to make an appointment for registration. The Cosmetology advisor must sign registration forms.
Students meeting the requirements listed above are accepted into the program on a space available basis. Please check your registration day and time with Olympic College.
• Next Pay tuition at the OC cashier
• Purchase books: information upon registration for book requirements
• Purchase kit at West Sound Tech: information upon registration
Requirements For Licensure
- These education programs are designed to meet competency standards required to apply to the exams to obtain a Professional License that is governed by the Washington State Licensing Board of Cosmetology. (http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/cosmetology/)
- Washington State Department of Licensing Information and Frequently Asked Questions for Cosmetology Students (http://www.cosmetologywashington.com/studentFAQ.cfm) and practice tests (http://www.cosmopracticetest.com/)
- The Washington State Department of Licensing Cosmetology Section provides technical assistance (http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/cosmetology/faq.html#wrapper) to applicants and licensees if requested. During a technical assistance visit you can learn about:
• State licensing procedures
• Compliance with regulation
• Safety and sanitation procedures
• Routine inspection
Additional information regarding requirements- is overseen by the Washington State Department of Licensing; http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/cosmetology/
Program Information (ATA Degree)
The Cosmetology Program is designed to allow students to complete the required instruction to qualify for the Washington State Cosmetology License examination and at the same time earn an Associate in Technical Arts Degree. This Olympic College Program operates under an agreement between Olympic College and the West Sound Technical Skills Center. Cosmetology classes are held at the West Sound Technical Skills Center, located at 101 National Avenue in Bremerton.
Program requirements meet the competency standards required by the Washington State Licensing Board for Cosmetologists and the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges. To obtain the Associate in Technical Arts Degree, students must complete all of the core cosmetology requirements as well as the general academic requirements (e.g. Business Math, English and Human Relations).
Certificates are also Offered
- Cadet Instructor - Cosmetology
Provides the training necessary to become an effective instructor of barbering, manicuring, esthetics, or cosmetology.
Prepares students for entry into the salon field and will enable them to perform all services normally offered in the cosmetology profession of esthetician.